WorldFish is looking for a senior scientist in aquatic animal feeds and nutrition who will work across disciplines and sectors to generate compelling scientific evidence that persuades critical stakeholders and decision-makers at all levels to invest resources and implement practical aquatic animal nutrition and feeding that will ensure production of sustainable and safe aquatic foods in Africa, Asia and the Pacific.
- Lead/co-lead the aquatic animal feeds and nutrition program, ensuring that the program aligns with WorldFish’s strategic goals, is innovative, and generates new knowledge in Aquatic Foods Biosciences, maintaining high visibility and credibility in relevant scientific, development and policy networks and platforms.
- Oversee the design and the efficient execution of the global scientific and technical aquatic animal feeds and nutrition strategy, as part of the Aquatic Foods Bioscience research agenda.
- Design, undertake and analyze high-quality research to inform sustainable feed development and use at global, regional, and country levels.
- Work closely with other members of the Aquatic Foods Bioscience team (aquatic farming practices, aquatic animal health, aquatic animal genetics and social sciences) and external partners, to deliver integrated solutions to accelerate sustainable growth of aquatic food production (aquaculture).
- Develop strong inter-disciplinary partnerships and maintain collaboration with WorldFish scientists, local and international research institutes and the private sector, focused on research solutions for sustainable growth of aquaculture in Africa, Asia and the Pacific.
- Design, execute and report on the laboratory, on-station, on-farm and field studies related to ingredients, feeds and aquatic animal nutrition.
- Maintain a strong publication record in peer-reviewed journals and create communication products for end users of research.
- Provide technical advice to clients as required and assist in capacity building.
- Mobilize resources in support of the WorldFish Aquatic Foods Bioscience research agenda.
- Develop and lead the project scope, budgets and teams.
- Manage research staff, students and interns at WorldFish offices, in-person and remotely.
- Build productive relations with investors and development partners from public and private sectors for scaling out research results.
- Plan, organize, execute and report on the progress of projects and programs in dialogue with senior as well as junior staff/employees and external partners.
- Contribute to WorldFish and oneCGIAR impact targets and overall strategies.
- PhD in aquaculture nutrition or animal nutrition with extensive aquaculture experience.
- A minimum of eight years of relevant experience including leading research, managing and building teams, policy engagement, mobilizing funding, and communicating research to the public.
- A track record of high-level and influential scientific publications.
- Proven experience in aquaculture nutrition.
- Record of high-quality research publications.
- Knowledge and experience in feed formulation and production.
- Motivation for high-quality science and delivery of applications/impact from research.
- Ability to develop successful funding applications.
- Evidence of resource mobilization.
- Ability to mentor and bring out the best in multidisciplinary multicultural teams in multiple time zones.
- Speak truth with compassion.
- Communicate clearly and compellingly in writing and through public presentations (in English).
- Track record of successfully influencing high-level policy-makers, businesses, and other organizations in the aquatic food sector.
- Ability to design, convene and mobilize partnerships to deliver impact for people and nature.
- Ability to effectively communicate a common vision to diverse internal and external stakeholders.
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship-building skills and ability to work collaboratively with people at all levels in a decentralized, respectful, multi-cultural, multi-disciplinary organization.
- Demonstrated ability to serve as an agent of change, in order to build a unified CGIAR culture and dynamic, integrated and agile organization.
- Uphold the highest ethical standards by inspiring trust and treating all people with respect and personal integrity.
For more information and to apply, visit apply.workable.com/worldfish. Apply by February 20, 2024.